top of page

Towing: Do you have the correct category licence?

If you tow a trailer (whether it’s a camper, horsebox, or trailer) it’s vitally important to check you are doing so legally. The rules on what you can or can’t tow are different depending on what category licence you have, and when you passed your driving test.

Categories can be checked on the reverse side of your photocard driving licence. You can also view or share your driving licence information on the website (Link:

The main domestic towing categories are split up into the following:

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997

  • You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

  • You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997

  • You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

  • You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500kg.

  • You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old.

  • Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles.

Category BE

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

  • before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer

  • on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

If you don’t have the correct category licence, or simply want to add a category to you licence, COTS Training offer full B+E training and testing across South and West Wales.

Find out more about our B+E training at


bottom of page